Surfside condo collapse death toll at 64, 76 ‘potentially unaccounted’

Surfside condo collapse death toll at 64, 76 ‘potentially unaccounted’


The transition on Thursday from a rescue to a recovery effort at the site of the condominium collapse in Surfside proved to be more than semantics as officials talked of protocols for collecting and returning personal items — from jewelry to firearms — found in the rubble to even waiving survivors’ property taxes.

But the priority, they insisted, remained the ongoing search for victims. Ten more bodies were recovered, raising to 64 the death toll from the June 24 implosion of the Champlain Towers South complex, said Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava.

“We are working around the clock to recover victims and to give closure to the families as fast as possible,” she said.

Levine Cava reported that 40 of the bodies had been identified and 39 next of kin were also identified. Police officials identified another one of the fatalities Thursday as Gary Cohen, 58, whose body was one of the 18 recovered Wednesday.



Source link