Rise and shine, Orlando and Happy 4th of July! It’s Sunday, so let’s get you started with everything you need to know going on in Orlando today. Here’s what’s happening today in town.
In this issue you’ll learn about a new partnership between a sports team and a theatre, health code violations at White Castle, the end of a rescue effort in Surfside for Orlando Fire Department members, and more. Now, let’s get started.
First, today’s weather: Possible light rain in the afternoon. High: 91 Low: 75.
Here are the top stories today in Orlando:
1. Theme parks around Central Florida are having fireworks celebrations for the 4th of July and Click Orlando has a guide listing them. (Click Orlando)
2. Orlando City SC is partnering with Orlando Repertory Theatre. The theatre will be able to reach new audiences with marketing help from the MLS soccer club, which will advertise for them in Exploria Stadium. (Orlando Sentinel)
3. The World’s Largest White Castle in Orlando had 20 health code violations on its first inspection. Most violations were minor, but intermediate level violations included possible mold growing in an ice machine and inconsistent hot water temperatures at sinks throughout the restaurant. (Orlando Weekly)
4. Brevard and Volusia Counties do not require recertification of older buildings which is drawing concerns from some officials after the Surfside condo collapse in Miami. Others say it is important not to have a knee-jerk reaction to the tragedy and property owners are downplaying any safety concerns. (Click Orlando)
5. Forty-two members of the Orlando Fire Department will have returned home following efforts to help in the Surfside rescue. Members sent are from Orlando, Orange County, Seminole County, Lake County and Reedy Creek departments. (WESH 2 Orlando)
6. Walt Disney World Resort is celebrating its 50th anniversary by giving away 50 free tickets to the parks to people who practice random acts of kindness. Anyone 18 and up can nominate up to five Magic Makers online at WMFE)and by posting about them with the hashtag #DisneyMagicMakers on social media. (
Today in Orlando
- SeaWorld’s Fourth of July Celebration + Fireworks. (9:00 AM)
- Free Intro To Improv Workshop! (10:00 AM)
- 4th of July Celebration at Wekiva Island. (12 p.m.)
- 4th of July Celebration in Avalon Park. (5:00 PM)
- City of Orlando’s Fireworks at the Fountain. (5:00 PM)
- Monumental 4th of July at Kissimmee Lakefront Park. (6:00 p.m.)
- Baldwin Park’s Freedom Fest. (7:00 PM)
- July 4th Celebration at Apopka Amphitheater. (7:00 PM)
- Orlando Pride vs. North Carolina Courage. (7:00 PM)
Orlando Patch Notebook
- Universal Orlando Resort: “Alexa, play THE SONG: (: @rachelterk92)” (Instagram)
- Orlando City SC: “Big time from @pedrogallese1 and @tufpfoficial to move onto the @copaamerica semi-final ” (Instagram)
- Orlando Health: “Dr. Donald Plumley, a pediatric surgeon with Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, and Orange County Fi…” (Facebook)
- Pet Alliance Greater Orlando: “The Sanford cattery is FULL! Summer is our busiest time of year with #kittenseason filling our shelters with ador…” (Instagram)
- Orlando Police Department: “TOWARDS THE WEEKEND LIKE : It was the Boca Club kids’ turn to show NPU Officer Hannah Crowe how fast they c…” (Facebook)
- Downtown Orlando: “Hello, long weekend. Long time no see.” (Facebook)
- Central Florida Zoo: “Happy World Porcupine Day! Check out this video of our animal ambassador, Porcx, enjoying an enrichment activity of s…” (Instagram)
You’re all caught up for today! See you tomorrow for another update. If you’re liking these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors along for the ride. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orlando Daily? Email all inquiries to me at [email protected].