Hey, neighbors! It’s me again, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Orlando Daily. Let’s get this Saturday started.
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Orlando? Our premium local sponsorships will keep you at the top of inboxes around town every morning. Contact us here for the lowdown.
First, today’s weather:
Humid and mostly cloudy throughout the day. High: 87 Low: 75.
Here are the top stories in Orlando today:
1. The University of Central Florida (UCF) has officially received an invitation to join the Big 12. BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston were also invited. The new additions will make the Big 12 span 8 sates and 3 time zones. (Click Orlando)
2. Universal Orlando followed a personal request from The Orlando Utilities Commission to cut back water use due to a liquid oxygen shortage caused by a surge COVID-19 patients flooding hospitals around the nation. The theme park limited their water usage by nearly 38% by limiting irrigation, pressure washing and dishwasher use and using disposable plates. (Orlando Weekly)
3. A DeBary man in Volusia County is accused of shooting his family dog while children were only one room away in a domestic disturbance late Thursday. Officials say the disturbance came about when the man’s girlfriend hid his guns after he was intoxicated and discussed using the guns on himself. He is being held without bond on charges of animal cruelty, child abuse, and shooting into a dwelling. (WFTV)
4. A 66-year-old Orange County Jail inmate has died from COVID-19. Mayor Demings says this is the first COVID death linked to the jail, but he says it may not be the last as cases of the virus continue to rise in the surrounding community. (WMFE)
5. Florida residents who died on 9/11 will be among those memorialized at services across the country on the attack’s 20th anniversary today. Nearly 3,000 Americans, including 5 from Florida, were killed in the attacks. (Tampa Patch)
Today in Orlando:
- 9/11 20th Anniversary Remembrance: Gabriel Fauré’s Requiem at Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. (11:00 AM)
- Lake Nona Farmers Market. (3:00 PM)
- A Tribute to Heroes Concert with LOCASH at Apopka Amphitheater. (4:00 PM)
- Wine for Warriors Gala at Rosen Shingle Creek. (6:00 PM)
- UCF Knights Football vs. Bethune Cookman University Football. (6:30 PM)
Orlando Patch Notebook
- Universal Orlando Resort: “Name your favorite Voodoo Doughnut in the comments. (@vegandisneyworld)” (Instagram)
- Orlando City SC: “NEWS: Orlando City SC has loaned midfielder David Loera to @phxrisingfc in the @uslchampionship for the remainder of the 2021 season. Read more at the link in the bio.” (Instagram)
- Orlando Fire Department: “For the 343 New York City firefighters and 60 New York City police officers and Port Authority officers. #NeverForget #20YearAnniversary: Station 11” (Facebook)
- Central Florida Zoo: “Sip and stroll around the Zoo when you join us for Sunset at the Zoo on Thursday, September 16! Featuring music from Fred Lopacki, this adults-only event is the perfect way to unwind before the weekend begins. Save $2 when you purchase y…” (Instagram)
- Orlando Science Center: “Water we up to this weekend? It’s Aquatic Adventures Weekend at Orlando Science Center! We are diving into the diverse science of water with something for everyone. Learn how to become an ocean conservation hero, or have some good clea…” (Instagram)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today! See you tomorrow for another update. If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orlando Daily? I’m all ears. You can contact me at [email protected].